Custard Apple Health Benefits
Custard apples are a type of fruit that belongs to the Annonaceae family. The scientific name for custard apple is Annona squamosa. Custard apples are also known as bull’s heart, bull’s eyes, cherimoya, and sugar-apple. The fruit is spherical or oblong in shape and has a green or brown skin. The flesh of the custard apple is white or creamy in color and is full of seeds. Custard apples are native to tropical America but are now grown in many parts of the world including India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Thailand, and Malaysia.
The health benefits of custard apples include their ability to improve digestion, boost heart health, boost immunity, regulate blood sugar levels, and prevent cancer. Custard apples are a good source of dietary fiber which helps to improve digestion. They are also rich in vitamins A, C, and E which help to boost immunity. The antioxidants present in custard apples help to protect the body against cancer-causing free radicals. Custard apples also contain phytochemicals such as quercetin and kaempferol which have anti-diabetic properties. This makes them beneficial for people with diabetes as they help to regulate blood sugar levels.
Nutritional value of Custard Apple
Custard apples are a rich source of Vitamin C, which is an important antioxidant. They also contain other important vitamins and minerals like potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus. Custard apples are a good source of dietary fiber and have a high water content. All of these nutritional benefits make custard apples a healthy food choice.
Health benefits of Custard Apple
Here are some of the top health benefits of eating custard apples:
- Custard apples are a good source of dietary fiber, which helps to promote digestive health.
- The antioxidants present in custard apples help to protect the body against disease.
- Custard apples are a good source of vitamins A and C, which are essential for maintaining healthy skin and eyesight.
- Custard apples contain magnesium, which is necessary for healthy bones and muscles.
- The potassium present in custard apples helps to regulate blood pressure.
- Custard apples are a source of antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties.
- The fruit has a high water content and is low in calories.
- Custard apples are a good choice for people who are trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
- The fruit is also believed to have cancer-preventing qualities.
How to include Custard Apple in your diet
Custard apples are a delicious and nutritious fruit that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Here are some tips on how to include custard apples in your diet:
– Enjoy them as a healthy snack: Custard apples make a great healthy snack option. Enjoy them on their own or add them to a healthy trail mix.
– Add them to your breakfast: Start your day off right with a nutritious breakfast that includes custard apples. Add them to oatmeal, yogurt, or smoothies for a boost of flavor and nutrition.
– Use them in recipes: Custard apples can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. Add them to pies, cobblers, and other desserts for a unique flavor. Or, use them in savory dishes such as stews, curries, and salads.
– Get creative: There are endless ways to enjoy custard apples. Get creative and come up with your own favorite way to enjoy this delicious fruit!
Recipes with Custard Apple
Custard apples are a delicious and nutritious fruit that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Here are some recipes that showcase the versatility of this wonderful fruit:
-Custard apple pie: This classic dessert is made even better with the addition of custard apples. The filling is made with cooked custard apples, sugar, spices, and a little bit of flour to thicken. The crust is either a traditional pastry crust or a graham cracker crust.
-Custard apple Upside-Down Cake: This unique cake features custard apples in the place of pineapples in a classic pineapple upside-down cake. The cake is moist and packed with flavor, and the custard apples add a lovely texture and sweetness.
-Custard apple Smoothie: Start your day with a nutritious and delicious smoothie made with custard apples, yogurt, milk, honey, and bananas. This filling drink will keep you satisfied until lunchtime.
-Custard Apple Salad: This refreshing salad combines cubed custard apples with greens, nuts, cheese, and a simple vinaigrette dressing. It’s the perfect light lunch or side dish.
Side effects of Custard Apple
Custard apples are generally safe to eat, but some people may experience side effects. The most common side effect is an upset stomach, which can be caused by the high fiber content of the fruit. Diarrhea and constipation have also been reported.
Other potential side effects include:
– Allergic reactions: Some people may be allergic to custard apples. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include itching, swelling, and difficulty breathing. If you experience these symptoms after eating custard apples, seek medical attention immediately.
– Interactions with medications: Custard apples can interact with certain medications, such as blood thinners and diabetes medication. If you take any medication, talk to your doctor before eating custard apples to make sure it is safe for you.
Overall, the organic custard apple offers a wide range of health benefits that make it a great addition to any diet. Not only does it provide essential vitamins and minerals, but it also contains powerful antioxidants that can help protect the body against disease. If you’re looking for a delicious way to boost your health, look no further than the organic custard apple!
For Premium Quality Organic Custard apple order online now for deliveries in and around Chennai. Natural Mangoes, ARNV Farm delivers the best quality farm fresh naturally ripened custard apple directly to your home.